A brief history of St.Aidan's Church
It is not recorded why or when the mission hall was dedicated to St.Aidan.
St.Aidan was a missionary active in Northumbria in the years 635-650. He later became Bishop of Lindisfarne. He is credited with restoring Christianity to the pagan tribes of Northumbria after the fall of the Roman Empire. Described as "patiently talking to the people on their own level" he is an appropriate dedication for a mission church.
The following brief biographical note about St. Aidan is taken from the Catholic Encyclopaedia of 1907.
St. Aidan of Lindisfarne
An Irish monk who had studied under St. Senan, at Iniscathay (Scattery Island). He is placed as Bishop of Clogher by Ware and Lynch, but he resigned that see and became a monk at Iona about 630. His virtues, however, shone so resplendantly that he was selected (635) as first Bishop of Lindisfarne, and in time became apostle of Northumbria. St. Bede is lavish in praise of the episcopal rule of St. Aidan, and of his Irish co-workers in the ministry. Oswald, king of Northumbria, who had studied in Ireland, was a firm friend of St. Aidan, and did all he could for the Irish missioners until his sad death at Maserfield near Oswestry, 5 August, 642. St. Aidan died at Bamborough on the last day of August, 651, and his remains were borne to Lindisfarne. Bede tells us that "he was a pontiff inspired with a passionate love of virtue, but at the same time full of a surpassing mildness and gentleness." His feast is celebrated on 31 August.
A slightly more detailed account of St.Aidan's life and ministry can be found on the website of St.Aidan's Catholic Church of Coulsdon, Surrey.